Monday, April 12, 2010

Face-to-Face - The Interview

Sometimes I find myself so busy with so many different projects that the temptation to do an interview by phone is pretty strong. And you know what? I do conduct phone interviews - but only if I have met the subject at least once before in an interview situation.

There are just too many things you miss while talking on the phone that can really add to your story. What the person says verbally is only half the message. Make sure you interview them on their turf and then observe. Always go to an interview prepared with a few questions based on the research you've already done about the person. But don't let that bog you down.

Let the conversation flow. Through your observations you'll find other things to talk about besides your interviewee's latest invention or project. You might see family pictures - did family ties inspire your interviewee to pursue his or her dreams? Maybe they have a crossbow hanging on the wall - what's that about? How does that tie into your story? How do the surroundings make your subject more human for your readers?

If you came to my home to interview me you would see in my living room some pictures of my family and my collection of pink depression glass. Beautiful glass - yes I inherited it from my mother who passed away 15 years ago. It's beautiful, and fragile and reminds me every day that relationships are important and not to take them for granted. My memories of my mother make me want to be as good at listening as she was. Listening is a key part of being a good communicator.

And that is why having an interview face-to-face is so important - you have to listen with your ears and your eyes to get the deepest part of the story. Besides, getting out of your office regularly is one of the perks of being in communications.

No comments:

Post a Comment