Thursday, July 22, 2010

Too Much Information

I admit I am guilty of tuning out - tuning out the news that is. In recent weeks there has been repeated stories in the newspaper and television news about a dog neglect situation near Winnipeg. You would think that as a communicator and news junkie that I would want to hear all about it and have my two cents put in. But no - I simply cannot handle hearing about someone neglecting animals, especially dogs, but any animals in any way. The fact that this is to such a horrific degree as to be 'news worthy' just turns my stomach. Literally, I change the channel, skip the page and have not informed myself about the situation at all. Forgive me for not being a better advocate for animals.

A strong advocate would learn everything and be vocal about change, about legislation, about penalties. A strong advocate would offer to take some of those poor, neglected dogs into their own homes and nurse them back to health and a long and happy life in a loving home.

I'm not that strong advocate but boy do I ever admire the people who are. For me, it hurts, physically, to see that kind of neglect and pain heaped on defenceless animals. All I can do is cuddle my Cleo and promise her she will never, ever be subjected to that kind of cruelty or abuse at my hands. But thank you to those advocates who do take care of the neglected and abused - in my books - you are akin to Saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment